Princess Patient

4/11/2010 09:28:00 AM Edit This 3 Comments »
Here's my little Princess patient wearing her new princess Aurora gown, complete with gloves, necklace and purse - the hat is all Lexie. THANKS Jon & Teri. It made her smile and dance for a little while. I even got a little water down her by bribing her with it!!
Thanks also to everyone for your great advice and comments. It's helped to know I'm not the only one to have gone through this. I don't know why I expected Lexie to sail through this but clearly I did. She's such an agreeable little girl even when she's been sick in the past, I just figured we'd do a little snuggling on the couch, eat some ice cream, do a few craft projects and then she'd feel better. But she's really just not been herself and hearing a very firm NO from her or having medicine spit out at me has been a big surprise. Even my mom, the mother of 5, has been stumped over how to get her to drink or take her meds let alone eat. So it's been a week of challenges. But we saw some progress yesterday with her having a little more energy and drinking & eating more. Unfortunately she woke up about 5 times last night choking and coughing so I think the scabs are starting to come off which they warned me about. The doc said just when you think she's getting better this happens. So I think we'll have a few more days of yuks around here and then I hope I'll have my happy little Lexie Lou back especially since Mom will be heading back home this week and I need to get some work done. I'm going to stay optimistic and hope for the best!!!
Hey I was wondering from any of you Moms that have gone through this - did your kids voices sound almost drunk and did they hold their mouths differently? Lexie has been holding liquids or what little food I can get down her, in her mouth for sometimes 10-15 minutes before I can get her to swallow. And even when she doesn't have anything in it she holds it like she does. And she's also been speaking very little. She'll point to things or grunt and this is little Ms Chatter Box of Washington State here. I've been reminding her to use her words or not giving her what she wants until she actually asks me for it. I'm just wondering if other kids have had these issues.

Thanks again!!!

3 comments:

Diane said...

Glad to hear she is feeling better and on the upside of her healing. She is likley holding stuff in her mouth as it hurts to swallow, same with talking....if it hurts the are going to hold off doing it for as long as possible, it's very difficult to reason with a child telling them that "yes I know it hurts but if you drink more it will make it feel better". This is only a guess but the colder the better as it might help to numb it....I just remembered that this is how Ciera started to like chewing on small ice chips.....it was a novelty and I guess she liked it, and must have made it feel better. Good luck, things will continue to get better.

Kim said...

I know this has all been so hard on you! Glad to hear she is slowly feeling better though. Once those scabs are gone she'll feel better. Hang in there. She may not feel so hot but she is soooo cute in that princess dress! Love our princess girls!

Jeffery and Mollie said...

We are thinking of you and Lexie and hoping that she has continued to improve over the past couple of days.
Love the dress!